Department Chair and Professor
Spring Semester 2021
Ph.D., The University of Alabama
M.A., Jacksonville State University
B.A., Jacksonville State University
History of the U.S. since 1945, Southern History, Civil Rights Movement/Black Power, New Left & Counterculture, History of Rock n’ Roll
Dr. Gary Sprayberry received his Ph.D. in History from the University of Alabama in 2003. He has been a member of the CSU faculty since 2006.
Dr. Sprayberry offers courses in the history of the Civil Rights Movement, the United States in the 1960s, the New Left and Counterculture, Southern history, and American pop culture.
He serves as the Chair of the Department of History & Geography and as the coordinator of the Cinema Studies certificate program.
Dr. Sprayberry is currently writing a book on the 1969 and 1970 Atlanta pop festivals, The Psychedelic South: The Atlanta International Pop Festivals and the Making of a Southern Counterculture.
Dr. Sprayberry regularly offers study abroad courses for students in places like Oxford, England and Waterford, Ireland, including courses on the “Swinging 60s in Britain” and the Irish struggle for independence.
- “Dr. Thomas is a Bad Negro and I Trust You Will Not Pardon Him: The Life and Crimes of Dr. Charles E. Thomas of Alabama,” Journal of the Georgia Association of Historians 35 (2019), pp. 65-100.
- “The Desegregation of Columbus High School,” Columbus and the Valley Magazine (October 2019), pp. 47-52.
Recent conference presentations:
- “‘Guns, man, that’s the answer’: Charles Grimm, the FBI, and the Campaign to Undermine the Antiwar Movement at the University of Alabama.” Faculty and Graduate Research Conference, Columbus State University, Columbus, Georgia, November 2020. Watch on YouTube.
- “Charles Grimm, Agent Provocateur.” Annual Meeting of the Georgia Association of Historians, Columbus, Georgia, February 2019.
- “The First Annual Atlanta International Pop Festival, July 1969.” Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture/American Culture Association of the South, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 2018.